All applications initially will be screened to ensure application elements are complete. Make sure you:
- Serve as a Class Advisor/Mentor (must be a full-time or part-time school employee) and register your class (no more than 50 students in a classroom). Class Advisors/Mentors can have as many classes as they choose. Please see Official Rules for more information.
- Cite your sources and your work done prior to the Challenge launch (9/13/2012)
- Add attachments (Optional, but strongly encouraged)
All applications that are considered complete will move on to be judged by the following criteria:
- Local Environmental Issue or Problem (10% of total score) - How well does the entry describe a classroom or school situation or behavior that negatively affects the environment, and its proposed solution? Is the issue or problem common to other classrooms or other students the same age group?
- Class Advisor/Mentor and Student Effort to Expand the Solution (20% of total score) - How effective was the Class Advisor/Mentor in generating awareness and action within the school community? Did the students take on individual roles to carry out the solution?
- Creativity/Innovation (10% of total score) - Is the entry original and creative in its concept and communication, and does it enable students to demonstrate their intelligence and resources to solve the problem?
- The Plan and Enactment of the Plan (40% of total score) - Is the plan based on data collected that helps demonstrate there is a problem? Is the plan realistic, thoughtfully developed, and clearly explained including images, charts, and illustrations? Are materials carefully selected and specified? Is the procedure sequential and clearly explained? Is data used to determine the effectiveness of the solution?
- Sustainability and Replication (20% of total score) - Is the change one that will continue to benefit the environment over time? Are recommendations made on how other students in this age group could replicate the solution, make the solution easier, or make it work better?